PDA

View Full Version : could he pass for british? II

fulvioterzapi
05-18-2010, 10:57 PM
could he pass for british?

http://i50.tinypic.com/11ih3wx.jpg

Spin
05-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Yes. There ARE Italians who are often mistaken within an Anglo-Saxon crowd, see this past Australian politician for example. I have heard many often accidently mistake him for being Anglo rather then Italian-Australian. Behaviourally he was no different to other politicians.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08mG1CF1ov5S7/610x.jpg

^ I can otherwise detect easily he is of Southern European roots too.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/03/16/morrisiemma_wideweb__470x317,0.jpg

^ His family couldn't be mistaken however.

I don't mean to get into typology, but this just something that has crossed my mind. Often your examples of Italians who could pass as having 'British' roots, tend to have what Storm would class as a strawberryoid skin tone (rosey, light, not olive, similiar to some 'lobster-skinned' Anglo's), and a dolichocephalic index with evidence of Borreby influences (thought to be common amongst Northern Italians, Central and Northern Europeans), a pinched expression with a hyperlene nose (seen among Keltic influenced Brits and Dinarid/Noric influenced Italians). Perhaps this is proof typology as a set of rules guarding ethnicity seems bullshit. Phenotypical trends are more evident rather then differences amongst Europeans. Theres overlapping variation to appreciate all over. These threads of yours prove this point. (not that Italians are lighter then Brits on average, no)

Alberta
05-19-2010, 06:21 AM
All Europeans overlap to some degree or another. Most people believe that the British are of Nordic stock. For example stereotypical Englishmen is that of blond, blue eyed, tall. Rather than the typical English who don't look Nordic, but more similar to" Med". I have seen picture of British member who is of English origins, but most Middle Easterners would associate him with Iberia or France before Britain. It seems the English colonists to have been of the Nordic type or this stereotype would not have started. Their is also Anglo-American on the other forum who looks more North Italian or French then his British Isle origins, even people said h looks more Iberian.

I believe the British Isles are in between the Northern and Southern zone, seeing their phenotypes seems to suggest this.

As for Italians the most stereotypical is the Bebero-Arabesque look, since they tend to be almost all of Sicilian origins

Spin
05-19-2010, 06:58 AM
All Europeans overlap to some degree or another. Most people believe that the British are of Nordic stock.

I have not personally met anyone who believes this. People on race forums are almost as if alien to the real world.

For example stereotypical Englishmen is that of blond, blue eyed, tall. Rather than the typical English who don't look Nordic, but more similar to" Med".

Definitly not the stereotypical picture that pops to my mind or i bet, any other person of English descent. I find 'Mediterranean' to describe someones appearance to be too loosely used. In my opinion Black coloured hair or a swarthier skin tone doesn't make one simply 'Mediterranean' looking. (up close) IMO it is in the eyes. Deep set, almand, brown coloured eyes in closer proximity to one another are what i see as stereotypically 'Mediterranean.'

I have seen picture of British member who is of English origins, but most Middle Easterners would associate him with Iberia or France before Britain. It seems the English colonists to have been of the Nordic type or this stereotype would not have started. Their is also Anglo-American on the other forum who looks more North Italian or French then his British Isle origins, even people said h looks more Iberian.

I bet those two members you speak of probably best resemble peoples neighbours in Britain however, over anywhere else. Damn Benjamin Franklin! :p

I believe the British Isles are in between the Northern and Southern zone, seeing their phenotypes seems to suggest this.

I think the Brits phenotypically fit being NW Euro, which they are, with a similiar variation of phenotypes found in the Netherlands i find. The Dutch are probably the most similiar looking people to them i find. You can find darker Norwegian variants who resemble some Scots, you can find Germans resembling some from East Anglia, you can obviously find French and Iberians who may look similiar to some. Particularly the Welsh, southern English in Cornwall and those up north North East in Cumbria. The possibilities are broad. Picture a Brit as metrically in between meso and dolichocephalic Northern European, a moderate shade of brown hair and light green eyes with light skin with reddish tones. Obviously the darkest of all if you compare them to Northern Europeans.

Samorost
05-19-2010, 10:22 AM
yeah why not? everybody can pass for brittish. Rhianna, Mr.Bean, Sean conery...and hey, they ALL are BRits after all

Trog
05-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Rhianna?