Welcome Guest (Log In | Register)

Go Back   Anthrocivitas > Anthropology > Biological Anthropology > Human variation > Americas

Why Europeans intermarry with Indians in the Americas? 
Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 AM   Post #171
Calraige
Calraige

UnitedStates Ireland England NorthernIreland Scotland Catalonia
Ethnicity:European-American
Calraige is on a distinguished road

Any SSA levels in the Portuguese are extremely trivial. At most and most recent SSA admixture contact via Atlantic Slave in a tiny percent of Portuguese would be no greater than 1/1024th Black African and at best much possibly less than that, which would put you at 400-450 years ago, nearly 500 (half a millenia). So it's not nearly 1%, but more like 0.097% and much less than that, too. Completely trivial and irrelevant in all senses of the word. The Portuguese are majority Atlantic Celtic peoples.
Calraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 AM   Post #172
Calraige
Calraige

UnitedStates Ireland England NorthernIreland Scotland Catalonia
Ethnicity:European-American
Calraige is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molech View Post
Where? What synopsis? I read the article itself, I am not so sure that you did.

How old is old? And what studies claim that the admixture is old? I know that asking for a source gets annoying, but in this case I think it would actually put the debate to rest.

I don't. I've simply asked for support of some the claims made in this thread. I happened to have read Auton et al. (2009) because it was talked about on particular blog a while back. I read Beleza (2006) because of a previous thread on one of these forums discussing the very same thing.
Hundreds of years old, if not thousands to the point of non-existent.
Calraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:05 AM   Post #173
pinguin
Banned

Chile AncientMapuche OldSpanish Al-Andalusi Pa-Kuna HispanidadFlag
pinguin is just really nicepinguin is just really nicepinguin is just really nicepinguin is just really nicepinguin is just really nice

Could we please go back to the topic. You can open a new thread by yourself in this other topic. Thanks.
pinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 AM   Post #174
OxxStone

MedievalPortugal Dublin Wales Gallaecia BandeiraPortugal Germany
Ethnicity:Atlantic Celtic
OxxStone is just really niceOxxStone is just really niceOxxStone is just really niceOxxStone is just really niceOxxStone is just really nice

How old is old? And what studies claim that the admixture is old? I know that asking for a source gets annoying, but in this case I think it would actually put the debate to rest.

I don't believe a truly definitive study exists. However, the distribution patterns of Sub-Saharan markers in both Spain and Portugal may offer some clues that lend support to the notion that a majority of Iberian SSA-DNA is indeed ancient.

I'll see what I can find and present it.
OxxStone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OxxStone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM   Post #175
HonestGuy

Portugal France Greece Syria NorthKorea Iran
HonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubirajara View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_Elizabeth_Belle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lindsay_(admiral)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._feature.shtml

Dido Elizabeth Belle with her cousin Elizabeth, detail of a painting formerly thought to be by Johann Zoffany
You forgot an obvious one.

HonestGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 AM   Post #176
HonestGuy

Portugal France Greece Syria NorthKorea Iran
HonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud ofHonestGuy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubirajara View Post
He is quite good actually. I enjoy reading his books. However his British sense of superiority as compared to Iberians becomes quite clear to those familiar with his works. Kenneth Maxwell is a contemporary expert on Portugal (one of the most importants in the Anglo world) who also shows it in my opinion. There is something "racial" about it. Like the magazine "the Economist", Charles Boxer firmly believed in the existence of a "Nordic race", of which the Portuguese, even though being Europeans, would definitely not be a part of it. Kenneth Maxwell also in a somewhat jokingly manner refers to "pink skinned" English tourists in the Algarve, looking down on the Portuguese, and being looked up by the Portuguese. This kind of "racial thought" and "racial comparisons" abound in their works.
Well, the Portuguese can´t say bad things about the British, after all they are our oldest ally.

Regarding CR Boxer you should understand that he wrote in a less politically correct age when these guys could openly insult other races and groups. The attitudes haven´t changed too much but nowadays everyone is more carefull not to hurt anybody´s feelings.

The Algarve thing is true although there is mutual mistrust between the two groups. Portuguese don´t look up to the "bifes" but some do envy their money. British people who live permanently in the Algarve are mostly from the highest income group in that country. All the Portuguese around here believe Kate smashed open Maddie´s head in a fit of drunken rage and then phoned the British Embassy to cover everything up. The British Foreign Office and consular services are notorious for shamelessly aiding and abetting UK nationals who commit crimes overseas. The British are also regarded as less family oriented than the Portuguese and more given to public drunkeness.

Last edited by HonestGuy; 09-23-2010 at 07:31 AM.
HonestGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 AM   Post #177
pinguin
Banned

Chile AncientMapuche OldSpanish Al-Andalusi Pa-Kuna HispanidadFlag
pinguin is just really nicepinguin is just really nicepinguin is just really nicepinguin is just really nicepinguin is just really nice

The most famous mestizo. The "Inca" Garcilaso de la Vega"

pinguin is offline   Reply With Quote