Welcome Guest (Log In | Register)

Go Back   Anthrocivitas > Archaeogenetics > Genetic genealogy > Personal DNA results

Freckling and skin sensitivity to sun 
Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM   Post #1
Kadu
Administrator

Gallaecia BandeiraPortugal MedievalPortugal NineteenthCentPortugal Portugal blank
Kadu has disabled reputation
Default Freckling and skin sensitivity to sun

Sulem P et al. (2007) . “Genetic determinants of hair, eye and skin pigmentation in Europeans.” Nat Genet 39(12):1443-52.

Quote:
rs1805007 This study assessed people from Iceland and the Netherlands for the presence of freckles and for sun sensitivity. Sun sensitivity was measured by the Fitzpatrick skin-type score, which assesses skin type, skin color, and reaction to sun exposure. The researchers found that each T at rs1805007 increased by 2.5 times the odds both that a person would freckle and be sun-sensitive. The SNP, which lies in the MC1R gene, is also associated with the odds of having red hair.

source

Quote:
Red hair comes in a wide range of shades, from strawberry blond to auburn. It is most common in Ireland, Scotland and other places where people have a significant proportion of Celtic ancestry. A study of people from Iceland and the Netherlands found that many cases of red hair are due to versions of the SNP rs1805007 in the MC1R gene. This gene encodes a protein involved in the production of melanin, the pigment that is in your hair, skin, and eyes. Each T at rs1805007 was found to increase one's odds of having red hair by about 6.1 times. Unsurprisingly, red hair is also associated with other pigmentation traits, such as light skin and a large number of freckles.
source

I'm quite interested in knowing your genotype for this specific SNP
Kadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 PM   Post #2
Berossus

blank blank blank blank blank blank
Berossus is a name known to allBerossus is a name known to allBerossus is a name known to allBerossus is a name known to allBerossus is a name known to allBerossus is a name known to all

I have CC, but that should be expected as I am non-European.
Berossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM   Post #3
Kadu
Administrator

Gallaecia BandeiraPortugal MedievalPortugal NineteenthCentPortugal Portugal blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berossus View Post
I have CC, but that should be expected as I am non-European.

Still, only two out of twenty three European individuals of my "extended level" list have CT, and none has TT.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM   Post #4
Lol_Race

blank blank blank blank blank blank
Lol_Race will become famous soon enough

I am CC.
Lol_Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 PM   Post #5
Alberta
Banned

Canada AlbertaFlag JebalShammar CrimeanTatar IraqiTurkmen Turkey
Ethnicity:Canadian
Alberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta has a reputation beyond repute

My dad is redhead and he has some minute freckles. So I get this from him I am CT typical amount of freckling. As well for moles and freckles I get typical amount and I am AG. As for sensitivity to the Sun and freckles I am CC which is the typical odds.
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:24 PM   Post #6
Kadu
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta View Post
My dad is redhead and he has some minute freckles. So I get this from him I am CT typical amount of freckling.
that is rs2153271 and the query here is for rs1805007.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kadu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM   Post #7
Graham
mentalist

Scotland ScottishRoyal blank blank blank blank
Graham is a jewel in the roughGraham is a jewel in the roughGraham is a jewel in the roughGraham is a jewel in the roughGraham is a jewel in the rough

Freckling and skin sensitivity to sun CT for rs1805007. That explains the red beard
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 PM   Post #8
Kadu
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionnlagh View Post
Freckling and skin sensitivity to sun CT for rs1805007[IMG]chrome://snptips/skin/snp_present.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://snptips/skin/snp_present.png[/IMG]. That explains the red beard

LOL, you're a crypto-ginger just like me then, CT here too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kadu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM   Post #9
Graham
mentalist

Scotland ScottishRoyal blank blank blank blank
Graham is a jewel in the roughGraham is a jewel in the roughGraham is a jewel in the roughGraham is a jewel in the roughGraham is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadu View Post
LOL, you're a crypto-ginger just like me then, CT here too.
Red haired people shouldn't live in places like Portugal.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM   Post #10
AlexDelarge
a sul do Tejo

blank BandeiraPortugal Portugal CruzOrdemCristo blank blank
AlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionnlagh View Post
Red haired people shouldn't live in places like Portugal.
They don't... but we have our oddities like this bullfighter here:

I'm CC, just like the rest of us normal folks
AlexDelarge is offline   Reply With Quote