Welcome Guest (Log In | Register)

Go Back   Anthrocivitas > Anthropology > Cultural Anthropology > Linguistics

The Best Spanish 
Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 PM   Post #1
Incal
Type A Businessman

Spain Germany Angola Peru blank blank
Ethnicity:Blanquinegrindio
Incal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Best Spanish

It is said that the best Spanish is spoken in Colombia and Mexico, actually, I remember the linguist Pancracio Celdran said once that spanish in Spain was fucked up and they should learn something from countries like Mexico.

Vinny: A cop. I just shot a cop. They wanna be equal? I made her equal.
Incal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 PM   Post #2
Batayllero
Re-member

OldAragon Catalonia Andorra Occitania EUFlag EarthFlag
Batayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incal View Post
It is said that the best Spanish is spoken in Colombia and Mexico, actually, I remember the linguist Pancracio Celdran said once that spanish in Spain was fucked up and they should learn something from countries like Mexico.
Well, "best" Spanish simply doesn't exist, whether in Spain, Colombia or the Chimbambas. At most, we can talk about "best speakers", in the sense they speak as close as possible to what is considered his country's standard.

As for Mexico, as they say, it is too close to the US and too far from Heaven. With that condition, órale, you can't speak the best Spanish!!
Batayllero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM   Post #3
Incal
Type A Businessman

Incal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond reputeIncal has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Maybe in Tijuana. I've met people from Monterrey who speak really good, people from the DF too.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 PM   Post #4
Jose
Banned

RioGrandeRepublic CzechRepublic Mexico Guatemala ConfederateFlag blank
Ethnicity:Uto-Aztecan
Jose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant future

Quote:
I disagree. Maybe in Tijuana. I've met people from Monterrey who speak really good, people from the DF too.
Chilangos speak de la verga.

Mexico has many accents, the only thing we have that is almost completely consistent from Tapachula to Tijuana is our argot. However I think Mexican Spanish is one of the most "neutral" sounding ones if you don't talk with slang, while a Puerto Rican or Dominican is very noticeable even without slang. Spaniards have a very aspirating and somehow lispy accent, so they sound very "Spanish" even when they don't say coño and joder every 2 sentences. Chilean is a bit aspirating in a way too, they swallow some ending consonants. For example: estáis = estay
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:30 PM   Post #5
Batayllero
Re-member

Batayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond reputeBatayllero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've met excellent speakers from almost all countries, to be frank. Whether one likes one accent more than the other, that's a different issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
However I think Mexican Spanish is one of the most "neutral" sounding ones if you don't talk with slang,
Neutral for Mexicans and Central Americans. Any Spaniard or Argentine will still think it's Mexican.

Funny how so many people claim to have the "best" or more "neutral" Spanish, and it's usually theirs, lol. Colombians from the highlands, not the northern shores, say the same. The fact is, that neutrality disappears once you step out the local area.

However, Jose, you have a point. Dubbing has made many believe Mexican without slang sounds 'neutral' just because people can understand it.

Last edited by Batayllero; 05-28-2010 at 11:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batayllero For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 PM   Post #6
Jose
Banned

RioGrandeRepublic CzechRepublic Mexico Guatemala ConfederateFlag blank
Ethnicity:Uto-Aztecan
Jose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant futureJose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batayllero View Post
Neutral for Mexicans and Central Americans. Any Spaniard or Argentine will still think it's Mexican.

Funny how so many people claim to have the "best" or more "neutral" Spanish, and it's usually theirs, lol. Colombians from the highlands, not the northern shores, say the same. The fact is, that neutrality disappears once you step out the local area.

However, Jose, you have a point. Dubbing has made many believe Mexican without slang sounds 'neutral' just because people can understand it.
Central accents sound pretty neutral when spoken without slangs. Southern ones sound like Central Americans and some extreme variants of it even use vos or vosotros. Northern accent is more archaic and harsher sounding I say, this one can be noticed too even without slang. However the Monterrey accent is less noticeable, I'd say.

Northern Mexican accent is the only one that distinguishes between z and s perfectly, and as well between v and b. Some extreme hick accents even distinguish between c and s, however that's not the norm. I've seen some hicks say "Ellos crecen" as "Ellos cresh-n". Another feature of northern Mexican Spanish is that we swallow the ending vowels in some words, when they're between consontants. Representante becomes Representan-t

Last edited by Jose; 05-28-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM   Post #7
Batayllero
Re-member

Quote:
Northern accent is more archaic and harsher sounding I say, this one can be noticed too even without slang. However the Monterrey accent is less noticeable, I'd say.
I know Monterrey's accent thanks to one of my flatmates, her accent was pure regio or so she said. Up till then all was but chilango to me.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 PM   Post #8
Incal
Type A Businessman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomar32 View Post
D.F.? I hate the Chilango accent.
Quote:
Chilangos speak de la verga.
LOL, well guys you are too biased to talk about the chilango accent in a proper manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batayllero View Post

Not my case. In any case, I've talked with many foreigners or tourists who are learning spanish and they can't get shit of what spaniards say (unless they are advanced) while it's easier to them to understand latin americans (could be cause we gesture like italians, who knows).

Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 PM   Post #9
Samorost
Legio IX Hispana

PendonCastellano Burgos ScottishRoyal PendonCastellano blank blank
Ethnicity:North Iberid
Samorost is on a distinguished road

I have a thing for cuban spanish. As if created for music
Samorost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 PM   Post #10
AlexDelarge
a sul do Tejo

blank BandeiraPortugal Portugal CruzOrdemCristo blank blank
AlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond reputeAlexDelarge has a reputation beyond repute

Argentinians and Colombians are easy to understand.
AlexDelarge is offline   Reply With Quote